A quick note:
Sharon Weston Broome, she of fiber fight infamy, wants to be Louisiana’s Senate president pro tem.
She shouldn’t be considered and no Acadiana region legislator should support her bid.
The fast rundown:
- Broome is the legislator that “authored”the infamous anti-Lafayette revision to the (un)Fair Competition Act. That bill, eventually passed in drastically ammended form, was submitted only 1 year after the “compromise” law was passed and was the incumbents’ attempt to get additional advantage before the law was ever used the first time.
- That act was clearly written by and submitted at the behest of Cox Communications.
- It would have forced a second referendum on Lafayette
- It would have fined Lafayette $900,000 dollars if the voters approved building a fiber network of their own
- To add insult to injury the law would have given that nearly $1 million dollars to Cox!
Lafayette’s people rose up in a campaign of letter writing and calling that led Broome to recant the more obvious mistakes in “her” bill, ask our representatives to tell the people of Lafayette that she was not a “vicious” person, and to say that she was not planning on returning to Lafayette until “it’s safe.”
Ms Broome has demonstrated her incompetence and her willingness to carry water for entrenched special interests to the detriment of the people she was elected to represent.
She has not earned any position of respect or honor.
PS: If that’s not enough to convince you, you might need to be reminded that this is the same Sharon Weston Broome that embarrassed the state by seriously suggesting that the state of Louisiana pass a resolution saying that it was our understanding that Darwin’s theory of evolution is racist.
Really. I couldn’t make stuff like that up.
Let your reps know that Ms Broome shouldn’t be an officer of our legislature.